Potato 'Arran Pilot', 2kg
A staple food for many, potato tubers belong to the nightshade family and have a remarkable story. Originating in Peru, they helped to fuel the civilizations that developed in the Andes. The 16th-century conquistadors took them to Europe and Raleigh planted seed potatoes in his Cork estate and introduced them to Elizabeth I.
- First Early seeds cropping from June-July
- Produces smaller new potatoes
- Excellent for salads and boiling
- Leave seeds arranged in an open tray in the light to chit before planting
- Plant with shoots upwards from March onwards once the soil has warmed
- Plant 7.5-13cm deep in a trench with a sprinkling of fertiliser or in bed dug over with well rotted manure or garden compost
- Leave 40-50cm between rows
- Full sun
- Avoid frost
As shoots appear from the seed potatoes, cover with a ridge of soil. Continue to cover shoots as they appear. By the end of the season a ridge will have grown to approximately 15cm
Your product is out of stock - enter your email below and you will receive a notification when it becomes available again.