Potato 'Foremost', 2kg
Originally known as ‘Suttons Foremost’ these potatoes were added to the heritage variety list in the 1950s and are a recipient of the RHS AGM (Award of Garden Merit), for all round excellence in the garden.
- Planting variety: first early
- Before planting: Be sure to chit your potatoes, leaving them in open air to allow sprouts to grow from the eyes, which are positioned on the blunter end of the potato. Stand the potatoes with the eyes facing up in natural light and plant out when chutes are 1.5-2.5cm in length.
- Plant out once the soil has started to warm up, from April onwards.
- Plant between 8-13cm (3-5in) deep in a trench with a sprinkling of compost or fertiliser in the base
- Space 30cm (12in) apart with 40-50cm (1ft 3in- 1ft 7in) between rows
- Ensure that the potatoes are planted with the chutes pointing upwards
- Full sun / Partial Shade
- Avoid frost
- As shoots appear, cover them with a ridge of soil so that a mound of 20cm (8in) is present around each plant by the end of the season
- Watering your plants well will help improve crop yield and discourage potato scab
- First earlies are typically ready for harvesting around 13-15 weeks from planting
- Store in paper or hessian sacks
Your product is out of stock - enter your email below and you will receive a notification when it becomes available again.